DMC has a challenging opportunity for an electrical design professional who has a desire to advance their technical skills while providing top notch customer service. Electrical Designers will be responsible for creating panel drawings, including BOM, layout, and component sizing, generating IO lists, designing power distribution, and creating loop drawings for field instruments. They will be required to understand and design within various standards such as UL and IEC.
DMC works on a wide range of projects in a variety of industries from automotive to healthcare to food and beverage. Our engineers are constantly learning new technologies in order to continually provide cutting edge solutions.
Founded in 1996, DMC is a technology company located on the near north side of Chicago. This position will operate out of our Chicago office which was named one of the Best Places to Work in Chicago by Crain’s! DMC employees enjoy a great benefits package, a well-stocked office full of snacks & games with a roof deck and gym, & an active culture, which includes company-sponsored athletic, cultural, & social events.
DMC Office Locations
- Chicago (Headquarters)
- Austin (New in 2022)
- Cincinnati (New in 2022)
- Nashville (New in 2022)
- New York City
- San Diego (New in 2022)
- St. Louis
- Washington D.C. (New in 2022)
- Specify automation and electrical components to meet customer specifications, application requirements, and industrial standards.
- Create custom control panel layouts and bills of materials.
- Design wiring diagrams, schematic diagrams, and one-line power distribution drawings.
- Perform IO checkout and validation.
- Perform enclosure FLA and heat dissipation calculations.
- Create and maintain AutoCAD Electrical templates, blocks and symbols library.
- Organize and maintain project drawings and technical information.
- Work with project managers and operations manager to schedule and prioritize tasks.
- Traveling to customer sites as needed.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical, Mechanical, or related field
- Minimum 6 years' experience
- U.S. citizen or national
- AutoCAD electrical
- Ability to design to UL and IEC requirements, including certification
- Familiarity and ability to design to NEC
- Working knowledge of PLCs, IO Modules, VFDs, Motors, and other standard automation equipment.
- Working knowledge of industrial communication networks
- Ability to size power components, including breakers, fuses, VFDs, Disconnects, etc.
- Ability to determine and layout power distribution
- Ability to create PDF drawings utilizing cross reference clicking
- Ability to size panels and calculate heating/cooling requirements
- Ability to create BOM from high level requirements
- Generate Loop Drawings
- Generate one-line drawings
- Microsoft Excel
Nice to Have Skills
- Experience programing or configuring PLCs, HMIs, or SCADA systems
- Familiarity with safety PLC wiring
- Familiarity with PL and SIL electrical design requirements
- Ability to read and understand P&ID drawings
- Familiarity with industrial communication network design
- Familiarity with National Instruments or DAQ equipment
- Understanding of noise mitigation and signal integrity considerations for panel design
- Knowledge of high voltage and high power component design (both AC and DC)
- Familiarity with quality control standards such as ISO9001 and AS9100
- Understanding of FOD (foreign object debris) protection procedures, ESD protection standards, other important safety and quality control best practices
- Ability to do basic mechanical CAD
- Ability to do software testing
- Familiarity with PCB design and able to develop simple PCB schematic
Please note compensation is based on credentials and location:
- Engineer Level I (1-3 years relevant experience): $65,000 - $80,000
- Engineer Level II (2-5 years relevant experience): $80,000 - $90,000
- Engineer Level II (5+ years relevant experience): $90,000 - $110,000
DMC typically evaluates compensation and grants raises on an annual basis (raise amounts are dependent on company and individual performance).
DMC believes in rewarding employees for additional effort beyond what is expected. One of the ways we recognize employees is through Extra Effort bonuses, intended to reward employees for periods of working extremely long hours, working more than the occasional weekend, or other acts of extra effort.
Additionally, DMC offers Site and Travel Compensation, which is intended to compensate employees for time spent working out of DMC's offices due to the travel requirements of the position.
Full-time employees enjoy a great benefits package including:
- Health, Dental, and Vision coverage
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account(s)
- Paid vacation and Sick time
- Paid Parental Leave
- 401k matching
To conform to U.S. Government commercial space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(3), applicants for employment at DMC must be a U.S. citizen or national, lawfully admitted for permanent residence into the U.S. (i.e. current green card holder), or lawfully admitted as a refugee or granted asylum under 8 U.S.C. § 1157-1158.