Experienced Client engineers selected the instrumentation/components, designed the hardware platform for the battery module test station, and developed test specifications to define the desired testing procedures. Although the Client had expert test engineering and software programming resources on staff, the Client chose to engage DMC to handle the software programming portion of the test system development. This allowed the Client to expedite the overall implementation schedule of the test system (in turn allowing the Client to begin realizing cost savings sooner from reduced warranty servicing costs), as well as to allow the Client's engineering resources to focus their valuable time on developing and executing their battery pack remanufacturing process.
DMC programmed a LabVIEW-based Test Control Application to test the Client's automotive battery packs in full accordance with the Client's prescribed testing specifications.; DMC implemented this application rapidly by leveraging existing code modules from the DMC Battery Test Platform and molding these preexisting frameworks to the Client's unique hardware architecture and testing requirements.
The Test Control Application provides fully automated functional testing of battery pack samples through a "Test Executive" architecture. This highly configurable architecture allows engineering users to establish a library of defined test procedures by adjusting input settings and grading criteria for pre-defined test processes (based on testing specs). A flexible test sequence management interface then allows these test procedures to be sequenced together to build a comprehensive functional testing regimen.
The battery testing capabilities provided by this test station include the following:
- DUT Connection Test: Performs appropriate continuity measurements to ensure proper DUT Connection to test stand
- Incoming/Outgoing OCV Test: Performs a check of the open circuit voltage of the battery module
- Cell Voltage Reporting Test: Acquires and grades individual cell voltage values as reported over the DUT's LIN interface
- DUT Thermistor Test: Measures and evaluates thermistors within the battery module
- Insulation Resistance Test: Performs DC HiPot insulation resistance measurements from battery module's high voltage bus to low voltage / chassis connections
- Set SOC Test: Charges or Discharge the battery module as needed to drive the module's State of Charge to a target percentage
- DC Resistance and Capacity Test: Subjects the battery module to a discharge current pulse to measure the DC resistance and capacity of the battery module
Learn more about DMC's battery pack and BMS test system services.