DMC developed this set of SAE J1939 protocol drivers for LabVIEW using the NI-CAN channel API provided by National Instruments (NI). The drivers use the SAE J1939 protocol to communicate with an automotive ECU (Electronic Control Module) using NI CAN hardware that supports the NI Channel API. This driver set is intended for use in automated testing and hardware in the loop (HiL) simulation environments.
Since this DMC implementation is written entirely in the LabVIEW development environment, which provides functions at a layer above the base CAN channel layer, there are several benefits to be realized:
- The drivers allow the simultaneous capture of data from both poll-and-response J1939 packets using the DMC drivers, and broadcast CAN frames using the simplicity of the NI Channel API.
- The J1939 CAN drivers integrate seamlessly with LabVIEW, since there are no external dll’s or third party APIs involved.
- Additional J1939 functionality can be easily incorporated, since the source code is entirely LabVIEW based.
- These drivers will work on any LabVIEW Real Time (RT) targets which directly support the NI channel API, such as PXI and NI industrial PCs. (Unlocked Library version is required for RT support)
Supported J1939 Functions:
At this time, the following critical aspects of the SAE J1939 protocol specification are supported:
- User defined Tool, Target, and Global addresses for Source and Destination. (Advanced users can modify the CAN database for more flexibility.)
- Parameter Group Number (PGN) request message (0x18EA00), and get response.
- Retrieve Active Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) using Diagnostic Message 1 (DM1).
- Retrieve Inactive DTCs using DM2, via active request or passive mode.
- Clear Inactive DTCs using DM3.
- Clear Active DTCs using DM11.
- Memory Access Request (DM14), Memory Access Response (DM15), and Binary Data Transfer (DM16) for read and write operations of Diagnostic Data and Control Routines.
- Support for Short Seed/Key Security. (User must provide the required LabVIEW code and proper algorithm for key generation).
- Multi-packet capability for DM1, DM2, DM14/15/16 (Read Operations Only), and PGN Request/Response.
- Broadcast Announce Message (BAM) transactions are supported along with multi-frame transport packets.
Additional functionality will be added by DMC as this product matures. Alternatively, users may license an unlocked version to incorporate missing or custom functionality.
Download the 30-day trial version. (Zip file - 1.5MB)
Download the technical manual. (PDF file - 720kB)
Contact DMC for latest pricing and details, or to obtain a registration key.
This trial program (this "program") has been developed by DMC. Although technical support of this program may be made available by DMC, this program may not be completely tested and verified, and DMC does not guarantee its quality in any way or that DMC will continue to support this program new revisions of related products and drivers. THIS TRIAL PROGRAM IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. DMC WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, COVER, ECONOMIC, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THIS PROGRAM.